Here is a quick and easy Mexican seasoning spice blend that will be your new go to instead of using a packet.
Move over Chipotle ❤
I use with blend with cooking chicken, ground turkey or beef on the stove for tacos or fajitas.
It also works great with black beans or pinto beans if you are looking for a quick vegetarian or vegan Mexican dish.
For another suggestion, I have used this blend when baking chicken and vegetables and always turns out great.
For some variety I also like to put chicken and vegetables over rice for a quick lunch or dinner or for leftovers.
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Mix all spices together and toss with your favorite protein (beans or meat) or vegetables and cook on the stovetop until done or in the oven.
Looking for a quick and delicious weeknight or weekend meal? I got you covered with this creamy spinach tomato tortellini. It cooks in about 20 minutes and is filling by itself or can pair with a vegetable or with garlic toast.
First gather your ingredients: tortellini, spinach, tomatoes, milk, flour, parmesan, and spices
Heat water for the pasta then add pasta when boiling
While the pasta is cooking, start to make the sauce.
With the veggies are cooking, combine milk/flour with a whisk and then add to the veggies
Allow sauce to boil, then move to simmer (low) to thicken
Then add pasta to sauce and stir
Enjoy this vegetable packed dish by itself or with a side
Spinach Tomato Tortellini
- 1 (16 ounce) package cheese tortellini
- 3 cups fresh spinach
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. When boiling add the tortellini and cook until tender according to package directions.
- While the water is preheating, start the sauce. Combine the tomatoes, spinach, salt, pepper, basil and garlic in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook and stir until the mixture begins to bubble (usually 3-5 minutes).
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour and milk Stir this mixture into the saucepan along with the Parmesan cheese. Heat through then reduce heat to low, and simmer until thick, about 2 minutes.
- Drain the tortellini then pour the tortellini into the saucepan with the sauce. Stir to combine and enjoy! Top with parmesan cheese if desired.
You can buy veggie burgers in the frozen section of most grocery stores, but HAVE YOU ever had a homemade one? They are a GAME CHANGER.
I feel like I can openly say I am a veggie burger snob. I have tried SO many more veggie burger recipes that I like to admit. Most have minimal flavor and are so mushy mushy. I have finally created one that I like the best after trial and error and is my now GO TO. I present to you my sweet potato, onion, black bean seasoned veggie burger.
Let’s get started:
1. You’ll want to cook rice for the recipe (or use leftover cooked rice) and roast one sweet potato and 1/4 of an onion (see directions below)
(I recently got a rice cooker and typically make 1 cup of dried rice (which makes about 3 cups of cooked rice. I like to have more than I need so I have extra leftover rice for bowls later in the week)
I roast the chopped sweet potato and onion on a parchment lined baking sheet for easy cleanup.
2. Measure and gather all ingredients together for easy assembly
3. Next layer ingredients in food processor, cover, pulse together to combine, then refrigerate for 30 minutes if you have time (if you do not have time, proceed to next step).
4. Form veggie burgers on a plate then cook in preheated pan with oil.
5. If desired after the veggie burgers are done, top with a slice of your favorite cheese.
- 1 cup cooked white or brown rice
- 1 can black beans (15 oz) – rinsed and drained
- 1 sweet potato – peeled, chopped, roasted
- 1/2 cup onion -chopped and roasted (about 1/4 of a large onion)
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs (panko or plain)
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Olive oil (for cooking)
- Make rice according to package directions. Typically 1/2 cup of dried rice will make more than 1-1.5 cups of rice.
- To roast the sweet potato and onion, preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper if you have it, makes cleanup a breeze. Peel and chop the sweet potato and onion and place on baking sheet. Drizzle lightly (about 1 tbsp) with olive oil. Cook for 10 minutes, stir and then cook for an additional 8-10 minutes.
- Combine ingredients in food processor. First add cooked rice to the bottom of the food processor, then layer the other ingredients and sprinkle the spices on top. Cover with lid and pulse for 10-12 times in 2 second bursts, until well combined but still choppy.
- Remove blade and set aside and cover top of bowl, refrigerate for at least 30 minutes prior to making burgers.
- Remove mixture from fridge and form burgers. (Better to keep them thick versus thin, as they won’t get too crumby if you keep them thick). It should make 5-6 burgers.
- Preheat pan to medium with 1 tbsp olive oil. After 2-3 minutes, add burgers. Cook for 4 minutes on each side without covering. Turn off heat, leave pan on burner and if desired, add a slice of cheese.
- Top with your favorite burger toppings and add a side of choice. Enjoy! If you haven’t tried The Best Roasted Red Potatoes and Onions, Easy Seasoned Quinoa, or Vegetable Feta Quinoa Salad these would all be great options for sides!
Whats better than a bowl of tasty chili when it’s cold out? *crickets*
So check it out, I’ll show you a step by step of the quick process to get you on your way to trying my chili. It is a slow cooker recipe that makes life EASIER. Who doesn’t like taking the extra work out of cooking!? It does not disappoint. : )
So first gather the beans, tomatoes, tomato soup, spices and chopped onion
Brown the ground turkey in a pan
Layer the ground turkey, onions, tomatoes, tomato soup, beans, and spices. Then mix ingredients, cover with lid, and set crockpot for 8 hrs on low or 4 hrs on high.
Top with cheese, crackers, and enjoy by itself or with warm cornbread
Hope’s Slow Cooker Turkey Chili
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 (10.75 ounce) cans low sodium tomato soup
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 2 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained
- 1/2 medium yellow onion , chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili power
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cumin
- salt to taste
- Heat oil in a skillet on medium heat. Brown turkey in the skillet and then drain.
- Layer ingredients in then crockpot starting with turkey, onion, beans, tomatoes, tomato soup kidney beans, black beans and onion. Season with chili powder, red pepper flakes, garlic powder, and cumin.
- Cover, and cook 8 hours on Low or 4 hours on High.
*Note* – You can substitute ground beef or ground chicken for ground turkey or make it vegan by usually additional beans. You can also decrease the red pepper flakes and chili powder if you prefer more mild chili. This makes a medium spicy chili.
HELLO easy BBQ chicken wrap! Whenever I have leftover chicken I am ALWAYS thinking of a quick meal to put together that keeps everyone full and happy. Try this crunchy, sweet and savory wrap. Serve warm or cold! If your looking for a quick way to make some chicken, check out Easy and Quick Oven Baked Chicken. Pair with your favorite chips or veggies! This wrap works great also with The Best Roasted Red Potatoes and Onions!
Alright lets get started on this chicken wrap!
So first, gather your ingredients.
Layer the chicken and cheese.
Add the peppers and lettuce.
Wrap all those yummy ingredients tightly.
Cut in half and enjoy!
Easy 6 Ingredient BBQ Chicken Wraps
Makes 4 Wraps
- 4 Burrito sized tortillas or wraps
- 2 cups cooked chicken – shredded or diced mixed with your favorite BBQ sauce
- BBQ sauce to mix with the chicken ( I used about 2/3 cup, but personal preference to how much sauce you like!)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese – chopped or shredded
- 2 bell peppers – chopped
- 1 cup romaine or spinach – cut into strips
- In a small bowl, mix the cooked chicken with BBQ sauce.
- Place ½ cup of BBQ chicken in a line on the tortilla.
- Top with ¼ cup cheddar cheese.
- Layer roughly 1/3 cup chopped bell peppers and 1/4 cup romaine or spinach on top.
- Roll up the wrap, cut in half and enjoy!
Note: Depending on the size of the bell peppers you might have more or less than 1/3 cup per wrap, so just equally divide the chopped bell peppers into four servings .
Happy cooking ❤ Hope
Follow my on instagram at https://www.instagram.com/nonstopmomlife/
Follow me on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/happynonstopmomlife/?modal=admin_todo_tour
This is one of my favorite recipes. My mom actually introduced me to quinoa and making salads with it AND I am forever grateful for this. I have made this salad with lots of combinations. Pick your favorite vegetables, about 2 cups and add it to this salad. My current favorite combination is broccoli, bell pepper, and red onion. I like to use feta but you can also use mozzarella or parmesan if desired.
First gather your salad ingredients
Then combine ingredients and mix your dressing together (olive oil and spices).
Toss ingredients together and enjoy!
Vegetable Quinoa Salad
- 4 cups romaine, baby spinach, or mixed greens
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup broccoli
- ¼ cup red or white onion
- ½ cup feta
- 2.5 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp oregano
- ½ tsp basil
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- Combine the greens with quinoa, bell pepper, broccoli, onion and feta.
- In a separate small dish, mix the olive oil, oregano, basil, salt and garlic powder until well combined.
- Toss salad with dressing and then enjoy!
Sound good? Have quinoa in a salad before or looking forward to trying it? Let me know, would love to hear from you! Comment below!
Happy cooking! ❤ Hope
Look me up on instagram and Facebook as nonstopmomlife
I’m Hope. I love to cook DELICIOUS food and spend time crafting, exploring the outdoors, taking pictures, and enjoying time with friends and family. Check out the rest of the blog to navigate through easy and healthy recipes, along with motherhood and parenting content.
So, topic today is MEAL PLANNING. Ugh. I know, sounds boring.
BUT, it doesn’t have to BE and it does not have to be hard. It is a game changer with helping organize meals for the week so you don’t get in the rut of staring at the pantry or in the refrigerator, hoping something pops out.
I use a few easy tricks to plan meals and I wanted to share them with you.
Let’s get to it.
- Designate one day a week to consistently plan meals/grocery lists. When you get in the habit of planning meals once weekly, it becomes second nature. I usually spend 10-20 minutes planning the meals and making a grocery list on Saturday and then grocery shop on Sunday. Easy peasy.
- Plan 5-6 meals to make for dinners for the week and options for lunches
- I personally prefer to have 5 weekday dinners set but not necessarily the day, depending on what we are craving that day.
- I’ve learned to plan for what we typically eat, just so we don’t waste produce. For us, I plan on having enough for lunches and 5-6 dinners and extra frozen food in case we stay in, but we like to have flexibility if we eat with friends or family or go out to eat.
- I usually cook a big meal on Sunday afternoon or evening, which always has left overs to start the week with. I also typically also try to make extra roasted vegetables or have vegetables ready for salads and a big pot of lentils, quinoa or pasta that can be thrown together for a quick meal or eaten as lunch.
I keep the meals varied – every week I try to include one of these types of dishes:
- One night I’ll make a Mexican dish – tacos, enchiladas, fajitas, nachos, or quesadillas
- One night I’ll make an Italian dish – vegetarian lasagna, linguine with vegetables, spaghetti, chicken parmesan, baked pasta, fetticini alfredo
- One night I’ll make an easy chicken dish – oven baked chicken, breaded chicken, barbeque chicken, chicken wings etc
- One night I’ll make a not otherwise categorized dish that are just our favorite random dishes– loaded baked potato bar, grilled salmon, salad bar, some type of sandwich (turkey burgers/ veggies burgers/ grilled cheese etc) a tasty ethnic dish (pad thai, ramen, sushi etc) or a second Mexican or Italian dish if we are craving that and I have the supplies.
- Homemade pizza or frozen pizza (yes, frozen pizza is a GREAT go to after a long day at work and I have NO shame admitting that! I like California pizza kitchen, Newman’s own, and also the simple truth brand of pizzas). It is also so quick to use fast rising yeast or pizza yeast and make from scratch, layer with sauce, mozzarella and your favorite toppings.
- During the fall and winter, I do soup usually once a week as well but not as often in the summer
If you haven’t already, I suggest investing in a good amount of glass or microwave safe containers and locate their lids for easy food prep. It makes all the difference!
Pyrex Simply Store Glass Rectangular and Round Food Container Set (18-Piece, BPA-free)
I hope these tips come in handy. What helps you guys meal plan? Any tricks you guys use? Note: The link above is an affiliate link to Amazon.
As always, happy cooking! ❤ Hope Look me up on instagram and facebook —-> nonstopmomlife
Fluffy, tasty and versatile quinoa at your service. It can be part of a main dish, served as a delicious side, on salad, in wraps, in stuffed peppers or lots of other ways! It not only tastes great, it is so nutritious. Quinoa is a healthy carbohydrate AND complete protein which provides all your amino acids and keeps you full! Read on, get your quinoa ON.
Full recipe below > > > > > >
Easy Seasoned Quinoa
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp basil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Rinse quinoa in a strainer.
- Combine 1 cup quinoa with 2 cups water in a medium saucepan
- Cover and bring to boil, then reduce to simmer for about 15-20 minutes until all water is absorbed, stirring every 4-5 minutes to prevent quinoa from sticking to bottom of pan.
- After water is absorbed, remove from heat and keep covered for another 5 minutes.
- Add olive oil, oregano, basil, and salt.
- Fluff, serve and enjoy!
Note: If you would like to make plain quinoa for a specific recipe, follow steps 1-4 only 🙂
Happy Cooking! Let me know what you think. Plan to make it soon?
Look me up on Facebook and instagram @ nonstopmomlife
You know that brisket type pulled pork that makes your mouth instantly water. That’s what we have here. A delicious pulled pork that you can have on sandwiches, on salad, with nachos, in a wrap or whatever your heart and appetite desires.
First get those ingredients ready
One onion chopped, spices, minced garlic, and orange (or apple) juice
Of course the pork, the shoulder is the best piece for pulled pork. I usually use two 2-2.5 lb cuts.
Layer ingredients in crock pot with onions, garlic, and orange juice on the bottom.
Cover, let it cook about 8 hrs and then shred and enjoy!
Serve with your favorite sauce for an extra kick of tang, sweet, or smokey flavor!
Tasty Slow Cooker Pulled Pork
- 4-5 lbs pork shoulder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp paprika
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 ½ tsp minced garlic or 5 garlic cloves minced
- ¼ cup apple or orange juice
- Trim large pieces of fat off of pork pieces
- Add minced garlic, orange (or apple) juice, and chopped onion to a crock pot.
- Mix all spices together besides garlic.
- Pat the spices on the pork, top and bottom, and then place pieces on top of the onion mixture in crock pot
- Cook on low for at least 8 hrs. Remove from crock pot to a cutting board or plate and shred with a fork. If desired, feel free add your favorite barbequece sauce!
Note: You can discard the remaining liquid after cooking or strain remaining liquid discarding the onions and fat, then add back to pork! I typically use about 1 cup of strained liquid for extra flavor and moisture 🙂
Look me up on Facebook and instagram @ nonstopmomlife
It is SO nice to have cooked chicken breast for a quick meal with sides, on salad, for a sandwich, to use in another recipe, for tacos, quesadillas, with pasta, in a wrap, or another way. I could go for a while : ) . This chicken is not only fast to make, it is delicious with lots of flavor from seasonings and is versatile.
What you’ll need
Chicken breast, spices (I used oregano, basil, garlic powder, paprika, sea salt, and black pepper), and olive oil
First get those spices measured and mixed up
Coat the chicken with olive oil and then seasoning. Then pop on a parchment lined sheet and bake!
Bake until internal temp is 165 degrees.
Pair with sides and dinner is ready! It is that easy and great! Read on for details ❤
FULL RECIPE BELOW < < < < < < <
Easy and Quick Oven Baked Chicken
- 3-4 Chicken breasts
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- ½ tsp basil
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ¼ tsp paprika
- 2 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Mix spices together in small dish
- Apply olive oil to chicken breast, then add spices, coating top and bottom evenly
- Place seasoned chicken breasts on a parchment paper lined baking sheet
- Cook for 21 – 27 minutes, with small pieces of chicken cooking faster and larger pieces taking longer. I use a digital meat thermometer to make sure the chicken is 165 before I allow it cool.
- Pair with your favorite sides.
Note: If I know I am making this chicken for dinner, I sometimes double this recipe so I have extra for cooking with and leftovers later in the week for other quick meals.
Look me up on instagram at Nonstopmomlife