You can buy veggie burgers in the frozen section of most grocery stores, but HAVE YOU ever had a homemade one? They are a GAME CHANGER.
I feel like I can openly say I am a veggie burger snob. I have tried SO many more veggie burger recipes that I like to admit. Most have minimal flavor and are so mushy mushy. I have finally created one that I like the best after trial and error and is my now GO TO. I present to you my sweet potato, onion, black bean seasoned veggie burger.
Let’s get started:
1. You’ll want to cook rice for the recipe (or use leftover cooked rice) and roast one sweet potato and 1/4 of an onion (see directions below)
(I recently got a rice cooker and typically make 1 cup of dried rice (which makes about 3 cups of cooked rice. I like to have more than I need so I have extra leftover rice for bowls later in the week)
I roast the chopped sweet potato and onion on a parchment lined baking sheet for easy cleanup.
2. Measure and gather all ingredients together for easy assembly
3. Next layer ingredients in food processor, cover, pulse together to combine, then refrigerate for 30 minutes if you have time (if you do not have time, proceed to next step).
4. Form veggie burgers on a plate then cook in preheated pan with oil.
5. If desired after the veggie burgers are done, top with a slice of your favorite cheese.
6. Pair with a veggie side like asparagus, The Best Roasted Red Potatoes and Onions, Vegetable Feta Quinoa Salad, or Easy Seasoned Quinoa and enjoy!
- 1 cup cooked white or brown rice
- 1 can black beans (15 oz) – rinsed and drained
- 1 sweet potato – peeled, chopped, roasted
- 1/2 cup onion -chopped and roasted (about 1/4 of a large onion)
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs (panko or plain)
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Olive oil (for cooking)
- Make rice according to package directions. Typically 1/2 cup of dried rice will make more than 1-1.5 cups of rice.
- To roast the sweet potato and onion, preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper if you have it, makes cleanup a breeze. Peel and chop the sweet potato and onion and place on baking sheet. Drizzle lightly (about 1 tbsp) with olive oil. Cook for 10 minutes, stir and then cook for an additional 8-10 minutes.
- Combine ingredients in food processor. First add cooked rice to the bottom of the food processor, then layer the other ingredients and sprinkle the spices on top. Cover with lid and pulse for 10-12 times in 2 second bursts, until well combined but still choppy.
- Remove blade and set aside and cover top of bowl, refrigerate for at least 30 minutes prior to making burgers.
- Remove mixture from fridge and form burgers. (Better to keep them thick versus thin, as they won’t get too crumby if you keep them thick). It should make 5-6 burgers.
- Preheat pan to medium with 1 tbsp olive oil. After 2-3 minutes, add burgers. Cook for 4 minutes on each side without covering. Turn off heat, leave pan on burner and if desired, add a slice of cheese.
- Top with your favorite burger toppings and add a side of choice. Enjoy! If you haven’t tried The Best Roasted Red Potatoes and Onions, Easy Seasoned Quinoa, or Vegetable Feta Quinoa Salad these would all be great options for sides!