My husband requests this often. It is that good. A quick, easy take on chicken enchiladas baked in the oven in layers. This is my take on it, I’ve seen other recipes use refried beans but I love using whole black beans and frozen corn, which bakes in the oven and goes so well with the dish. You can make it vegetarian by omitting the chicken if desired. My mouth is watering just typing about this recipe. Let’s get started.
1.Get your ingredients ready
2. Place sauce to bottom of pan, then place two tortilla pieces on top,
3. Layer tortilla pieces to the sides
4. And then the other side to form one solid layer of tortilla.
5. Layer with 1/2 half cup of frozen corn and 1 cup of black beans (1/2 can)
6. Layer with chicken, cheese and 1/3 cup enchilada sauce
7. REPEAT to make another entire layer of tortilla, corn/beans, chicken/cheese and sauce.
8. Final layer is tortillas, enchilada sauce and then cheese
9. Cover with foil, made to a point to prevent the cheese from sticking to the foil
10. Bake for 30 minutes while covered with foil, remove foil and then bake for 5 more minutes. I always put the baking dish on a cookie sheet to catch anything as it bakes.
FULL RECIPE BELOW > > > >
Chicken Enchilada Bake
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 can black beans (15 0z) rinsed and drained
- 1 can enchilada sauce (I like the red mild best but the green is great too)
- 2 cooked medium chicken breasts, shredded or diced
- 2 cups Mexican cheese
- 6 Tortillas (small or large) – each cut in half
- Optional to use for garnish: Cilantro, sour cream, avocado, salsa
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Using a square 9X9 pan, first place several spoonfuls of enchilada sauces to the bottom (6-8spoonfuls).
- Arrange tortillas (4 of the ½ pieces) overlapping to form a layer.
- Place ½ can of black beans (about 1 cup) and ½ cup frozen corn on top of tortillas.
- Arrange ½ of cooked shredded chicken and 1/2 cup cheese, followed by 1/3 cup enchilada sauce.
- Repeat layer 3,4, and 5 (So you have an additional tortilla layer, corn/bean, chicken/cheese and sauce layer).
- Last layer will be the last of the tortillas, rest of the enchilada sauce, and 1 cup of cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes with foil made to a peak on a baking sheet.
- Remove foil and back for an additional 5-10 minutes.
- Remove from oven, let sit for 10 minutes, cut into pieces, garnish with cilantro, sour cream, or avocado if desired and enjoy!
Let me know what you think! Do you plan to make it? Did you make it?
Look me up on instagram @ nonstopmomlife
Happy cooking ❤