Looking to try something new? Try these savory chicken gyros, you won’t regret it.
Combine fresh ingredients and you’ll be on your way to a satisfying, tasty lunch or dinner.
Here’s the ingredients you’ll need: flatbread or pita, cucumber, onion, tomato, chicken, lemon pepper seasonings, feta, cilantro, lime, greek yogurt, and spices.
First, cook the chicken and then chop into bite sized pieces. I prefer using the crockpot or oven baking.
Then, chop your vegetables and mix
Mix the tzatziki sauce together with fresh lemon juice, greek yogurt, dill, and garlic powder.
Now, build that gyro! Layer some tzatziki sauce, cooked chicken, chopped veggies, feta and cilantro and then enjoy!
Easy Chicken Gyros
- 2-3 chicken breasts (1-1/2 lbs chicken)
- 1 tsp lemon pepper seasoning
- 1 cucumber seeded and chooped
- 3 roma tomatos, seeded and chopped
- ½ small onion, chopped
- ½ cup feta cheese
- 6-8 naan flatbread or pitas ( I prefer the mini naan flatbreads)
- cilantro (optional)
- ½ cup plain greek yogurt
- ½ tsp dill
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- Cook the chicken breast with the lemon pepper seasoning sprinkled on top. My preferred way is in the crockpot on low for 4-5 hours or high for 2-3 hours. In a time crunch, I have also cooked it in oven 400 degrees for 25-30 minutes (until temp is 165 or higher) or cut into strips and panfried in 1 tbsp oil.
- While chicken is cooking, assemble the vegetables. Cut the cucumbers into strips around the seeds and then small chopped pieces, getting rid of the seeds. Chop the tomatoes and onion as well and combine with cucumber, set aside.
- Make the taziki sauce by combining the yogurt, dill, garlic powder and lemon juice in a small bowl to serve on the side.
- Warm up naan in toaster or in the oven according to package directions, layer with taziki sauce, cooked chicken, vegetables, feta and cilantro. Enjoy!
****NOTE: I have made these before and substitued chickpeas for chicken and it was delicious as well!
Here is a quick and easy Mexican seasoning spice blend that will be your new go to instead of using a packet.
Move over Chipotle ❤
I use with blend with cooking chicken, ground turkey or beef on the stove for tacos or fajitas.
It also works great with black beans or pinto beans if you are looking for a quick vegetarian or vegan Mexican dish.
For another suggestion, I have used this blend when baking chicken and vegetables and always turns out great.
For some variety I also like to put chicken and vegetables over rice for a quick lunch or dinner or for leftovers.
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Mix all spices together and toss with your favorite protein (beans or meat) or vegetables and cook on the stovetop until done or in the oven.
Looking for a quick and delicious weeknight or weekend meal? I got you covered with this creamy spinach tomato tortellini. It cooks in about 20 minutes and is filling by itself or can pair with a vegetable or with garlic toast.
First gather your ingredients: tortellini, spinach, tomatoes, milk, flour, parmesan, and spices
Heat water for the pasta then add pasta when boiling
While the pasta is cooking, start to make the sauce.
With the veggies are cooking, combine milk/flour with a whisk and then add to the veggies
Allow sauce to boil, then move to simmer (low) to thicken
Then add pasta to sauce and stir
Enjoy this vegetable packed dish by itself or with a side
Spinach Tomato Tortellini
- 1 (16 ounce) package cheese tortellini
- 3 cups fresh spinach
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. When boiling add the tortellini and cook until tender according to package directions.
- While the water is preheating, start the sauce. Combine the tomatoes, spinach, salt, pepper, basil and garlic in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook and stir until the mixture begins to bubble (usually 3-5 minutes).
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour and milk Stir this mixture into the saucepan along with the Parmesan cheese. Heat through then reduce heat to low, and simmer until thick, about 2 minutes.
- Drain the tortellini then pour the tortellini into the saucepan with the sauce. Stir to combine and enjoy! Top with parmesan cheese if desired.
You can buy veggie burgers in the frozen section of most grocery stores, but HAVE YOU ever had a homemade one? They are a GAME CHANGER.
I feel like I can openly say I am a veggie burger snob. I have tried SO many more veggie burger recipes that I like to admit. Most have minimal flavor and are so mushy mushy. I have finally created one that I like the best after trial and error and is my now GO TO. I present to you my sweet potato, onion, black bean seasoned veggie burger.
Let’s get started:
1. You’ll want to cook rice for the recipe (or use leftover cooked rice) and roast one sweet potato and 1/4 of an onion (see directions below)
(I recently got a rice cooker and typically make 1 cup of dried rice (which makes about 3 cups of cooked rice. I like to have more than I need so I have extra leftover rice for bowls later in the week)
I roast the chopped sweet potato and onion on a parchment lined baking sheet for easy cleanup.
2. Measure and gather all ingredients together for easy assembly
3. Next layer ingredients in food processor, cover, pulse together to combine, then refrigerate for 30 minutes if you have time (if you do not have time, proceed to next step).
4. Form veggie burgers on a plate then cook in preheated pan with oil.
5. If desired after the veggie burgers are done, top with a slice of your favorite cheese.
- 1 cup cooked white or brown rice
- 1 can black beans (15 oz) – rinsed and drained
- 1 sweet potato – peeled, chopped, roasted
- 1/2 cup onion -chopped and roasted (about 1/4 of a large onion)
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs (panko or plain)
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Olive oil (for cooking)
- Make rice according to package directions. Typically 1/2 cup of dried rice will make more than 1-1.5 cups of rice.
- To roast the sweet potato and onion, preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper if you have it, makes cleanup a breeze. Peel and chop the sweet potato and onion and place on baking sheet. Drizzle lightly (about 1 tbsp) with olive oil. Cook for 10 minutes, stir and then cook for an additional 8-10 minutes.
- Combine ingredients in food processor. First add cooked rice to the bottom of the food processor, then layer the other ingredients and sprinkle the spices on top. Cover with lid and pulse for 10-12 times in 2 second bursts, until well combined but still choppy.
- Remove blade and set aside and cover top of bowl, refrigerate for at least 30 minutes prior to making burgers.
- Remove mixture from fridge and form burgers. (Better to keep them thick versus thin, as they won’t get too crumby if you keep them thick). It should make 5-6 burgers.
- Preheat pan to medium with 1 tbsp olive oil. After 2-3 minutes, add burgers. Cook for 4 minutes on each side without covering. Turn off heat, leave pan on burner and if desired, add a slice of cheese.
- Top with your favorite burger toppings and add a side of choice. Enjoy! If you haven’t tried The Best Roasted Red Potatoes and Onions, Easy Seasoned Quinoa, or Vegetable Feta Quinoa Salad these would all be great options for sides!
Whats better than a bowl of tasty chili when it’s cold out? *crickets*
So check it out, I’ll show you a step by step of the quick process to get you on your way to trying my chili. It is a slow cooker recipe that makes life EASIER. Who doesn’t like taking the extra work out of cooking!? It does not disappoint. : )
So first gather the beans, tomatoes, tomato soup, spices and chopped onion
Brown the ground turkey in a pan
Layer the ground turkey, onions, tomatoes, tomato soup, beans, and spices. Then mix ingredients, cover with lid, and set crockpot for 8 hrs on low or 4 hrs on high.
Top with cheese, crackers, and enjoy by itself or with warm cornbread
Hope’s Slow Cooker Turkey Chili
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 (10.75 ounce) cans low sodium tomato soup
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 2 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained
- 1/2 medium yellow onion , chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili power
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cumin
- salt to taste
- Heat oil in a skillet on medium heat. Brown turkey in the skillet and then drain.
- Layer ingredients in then crockpot starting with turkey, onion, beans, tomatoes, tomato soup kidney beans, black beans and onion. Season with chili powder, red pepper flakes, garlic powder, and cumin.
- Cover, and cook 8 hours on Low or 4 hours on High.
*Note* – You can substitute ground beef or ground chicken for ground turkey or make it vegan by usually additional beans. You can also decrease the red pepper flakes and chili powder if you prefer more mild chili. This makes a medium spicy chili.
I love this life with you.
I love celebrating small and big victories with you. I enjoy our time together as a family at home, exploring, traveling, and making memories with you.
Thanks for making me comforted and supported when I am emotional and feeling overwhelmed.
Thanks for making me laugh even when I want to cry.
Thank you for being kind to me even when I am having a rough day and I often forget to tell you how much it helps to have your support.
You work hard at your job and then still have energy to take on house projects.
Thank you for being so sweet with our child. I never knew how someone that I respect so much and has always been strong and stoic can also be so gentle and touching.
You are an amazing man. You are a great friend to your friends and an incredible husband.
Thanks for giving me space when I need it.
Thanks for being you.
THERE ARE DAYS I want to yell and cry. Or cry then yell. Life can have patches that can get you down. Thank you for helping me through those days and I’ll always be there for you when you have those same days.
AND when we have the INEVITABLE AND HARD discussions of our approach and opinions on finances, family goals, jobs, house and other decisions, thank YOU for being open to discuss what we desire. We argue sometimes. It can be difficult.
BUT HERE’S THE THING,
I love you.
We got this. I’d rather not have these discussions with anyone else but you. You are my person and I’m in it to win it with you, husband.
Challenging myself to not say the phrase “I can’t wait until….”
….baby sleeps at night, baby walks, baby feeds himself, baby does this or that, or for me to work less or exercise more, have a clean house, bigger or better house, more money, more more more more more more
TODAY is today. We are all works in progress and WAITING for this or that to happen takes away from the joy of today. So trying my best and making priorities for today, but also enjoying the little things and big things.
So I CAN wait.
Today is a beautiful day and is just how it is supposed to be. Who knows what tomorrow or next month or year will bring. Today is today. ❤