A baby registry can be SO FUN to put together. It can also be A BIT OVERWHELMING to do and INTIMIDATING, as you might feel you won’t know what you’ll to definitely use.
When I was planning my baby registry, I ran across so many LONG lists of items that, looking back now, were unnecessary and were confusing! But don’t worry, I’ll break it down for you ❤
So here is a basic list of the most useful baby items to put on your registry:
1.Baby burp cloths and receiving blankets
- Burp cloths are ultra absorbent and are your best friend when feeding baby or whenever a mess happens. Receiving blankets are larger and thinner blankets that can be used for burping or diaper changes when out. For further info on the difference between burp cloths, receiving blankets, and muslin swaddles check out this post: Types of linens for baby
- Personal Favorite:Luvable Friends Unisex Baby Cotton Flannel Burp Cloths, Basic Elephant, One Size
3.Sleepers (so easy to put on and take off)
- Go with the zippered sleep n plays. Ones with buttons will be frustrating in the middle of the night. Ha. Things I tell myself now.
- Personal Favorite:Simple Joys by Carter’s Baby 3-Pack Neutral Sleep and Play, Mint/Stripes/Heather Grey/Prints, 0-3 Months
4.Muslin swaddle blankets
- GREAT for swaddling, tummy time on the floor, or as a catch all when holding baby.
- I didn’t get ONE initially for our first baby and we would take the diapers out immediately. After getting one, it has been AMAZING to just take the trash out every evening or every other day because the smell is contained so well!
- Personal Favorite:Safety 1st Diaper Pail
6.Bottles and bottle brush
- I put 4 oz and 8 oz bottles on my registry along with a few nipple sizes as the baby would eventually switch flow types. We used the 4 oz bottles for a few months and then switched to the 8oz. I would aim for 4-6 of each bottle size. And of course you’ll need some bottle brushes along the way. You can opt for a reusable one or one you replace every few months.
- Personal Favorite: Brown’s Original Bottle, 8 Ounce, 4-Pack
7. Bottle drying rack
- There are two layer drying rack and one layer ones, both do the trick! Consider how much counter space you have when picking yours 🙂
- Personal Favorite:Boon Bundle Feeding Set
8. Microwave sterilizer
- THIS IS GAME CHANGER with keeping your bottles, pacifiers, pumping equipment sterile! The alternative is boiling water and sterilizing the things in there instead for 5 minutes and I did that for a few months FOR NO REASON before buying the microwave version. Just go for the $15-20 sterilizer : )
- Personal favorite: Munchkin Microwave Sterilizer
9. Infant carrier (TECHNICALLY optional) but highly recommended.
- Moby, Boba, Tula, ergobaby are all great brands! Ring slings (any brand) are also great!
- Personal Favorites when baby is little: Ring sling or moby. Personal Favorite when baby is 6+ months: Tula.
- Useful for positioning when breastfeeding or when baby is older to help promote balance/strength.
- Personal Favorite: Boppy Original Nursing Pillow and Positioner, Geo Circles, Cotton Blend Fabric with allover fashion
11. Sippy Cups/silicone bibs for eating/plates/baby spoons
- This will come in handy with the baby is older and trying foods. The gifts that keep on giving!
- Personal favorite:
12. Carseat and stroller
- Either a standalone carseat or a travel system is a must for safe travel with an infant.
- Two personal favorites: chicco bravo travel system AND baby jogger city mini
13. Diaper Bag
- So easy for either parent to carry and comfortable to wear with one or both shoulder straps.
14. Diapers and wipes
- The registry items you will definitely use. If you are having a diaper party, of course feel free to leave these off.
Personal favorite wipes: Seventh Generation Baby Wipes
15. Bassinet/crib + mattress
- Having a safe place to sleep for baby is essential. Some families do choose to cosleep safely but we felt more comfortable using a bassinet and then transitioning to a crib.
Personal favorite Bassinet: Arm’s Reach Bassinet
16. Baby swing OR bouncer
- From my experience you don’t need both.
17. Exersaucer/ activity center
- This items grows with your baby and baby loves it!
- Personal favorite: Skip Hop Baby Activity Center
- I would have at least 8-10 of each size (besides newborn, just have a few of that size) so you don’t have to do laundry daily if you do not have to. A newborn can go through 3-4 a day easily. People usually get onesies and outfits for babies that they pick, but you can ALWAYS put onesies or outfits on your registry that you LOVE.
19. OTHER items (also optional to put on registry but useful to get before babies arrival)
- Pacifiers, diapers (people usually will give you diapers but feel free to list them), specific outfits or accessories (bows/hats) that you are IN LOVE with and would like friends/family to get your little one, baby sling/tub.
- If you are having a summer baby, I would strongly suggest a baby dome so baby can hang with you outside, either catch a quick nap or do some tummy time.
Items I regret purchasing or NEVER needed
- Newborn sized baby swaddles – Our first was so small and I just wanted him to be so cozy, but within a week we had moved up sizes! I remember ordering these off of amazon in the middle of the night. I was very sleep deprived and made some impulse purchases on these.
- A second and third diaper bag. Not sure what I was thinking, but we really only use the first one that I bought. Sometimes I even just put a few things in my purse if we just run into the store. So crazy, I used to strategically overpack that bag, now I realize we hardly use more than 5 or 6 things (Burp cloth, swaddle, diaper, wipes, hand sanitizer, extra onesie).
- Bottle warmer – YUP. It’s still in the box. I do think I tried it a few times but was a hassle and putting milk in a warm water bath or running under warm water was much easier and worked better for us.
- WIPE warmer – babies are really okay with room temperature wipes.
Have a safe delivery all you mamas! Let me know what you think, what is your favorite must have baby item?
**Note: This post contains affiliate links to amazon products and I make a small commission on anything that is purchased at no cost to you.